Friday, July 6, 2012

Cost Saving Measures

After sleeping on it, I have made some decisions. I do not want to spend $2000 or possibly much more on jacks.  I;'d rather spend that on solar panels or other materials.


So I will not install electric jacks.  I'll use old style hand crank jacks and purchase jack extensions which add 8" for trucks with lift kits.  I still have a problem with these jacks as they have tripod bases which will not clear my dually tires.  Reico sells a heavy duty angle bracket and an extended and double extended brackets.  Plus I already have box extension, which I like in that they can be removed so they don't stick out so far.  

Extended tube kit:



Jack Brackets:  I have two good jack brackets, which I can use, or I may want a pair of heavy duty brackets as these are not a lot of money.  I will order two double extended brackets and I can add the box extensions onto those to get another 6 inches, which should clear my dually tires with the tripods extended.  


Standard size Heavy Duty Bracket




















Double extended bracket
The Rieco Heavy Duty tripod jacks are 25.5" in diameter.  Half that is 12.75"  The shaft of the jack is 2 1/8".  Using some geometry, the minimum distance would be a 30/60/90 triangle with the hypotenuse side at 12.75" so the distance is half that, 6.25" The double extended bracket adds 6.25" in length--(funny how that works out) and confirms my calculations.




In my case, the 6.25" is enough for the shaft to clear but not the tripods.  So I now the extended brackets with the box extensions to extend the tripod feet.  I called Reico and spoke to Sue today who told me I could use one box extension on an extended length heavy duty bracket.


So I will order:
  • Rieco-Titan Heavy Duty Tripod Camper Jack - 4 Pack                   $569.98  

  • Set of 4, Tripod Heavy Duty Jack Lift Extension THD-227-4 HD  $239.98 

  • Pair of HI-STRENGTH Double Extended #1 Bracket for Tripod Jacks  TST-128HS-2                                                                                                                             $323.80

  •  Pair of Heavy Duty #1 Bracket for Tripod Jack   # THD-221          $  46.25


    That comes to $1200, so I will need to shop around to see if I can get a better deal.  I can save a bit buy not buying the rear brackets.

    Jack Bracket Supports:  Fiberglass panels are very expensive.  Since I have the materials, I am thinking about building my own fiberglass panels rather than buy these.  I have two pieces of glass  and two 131 lb batteries to compress the material in a sandwich which are sized right for the jack supports.  I may start on these today.



No comments:

Post a Comment