Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Jack Points Part II

Port Side Aft:  This was the problem area.  I beat the board out. It will need replacement and I'll need an aluminum skin patched.  My big question is how to I make this stronger so it holds up better?  Or should I just rebuild it as it was?  Advice anyone?  You can see I am also working on removing more of the floor. Ultimately, I plan to take it all out, and this is complicated by the fact the floor is sandwiched between two sets of aluminum framing.  Why did they build it like this.  This is the only issue I can complain about in the construction of this camper.


 Starboard Side Aft--CRACKED.  I will have to replace this also.

Starboard Side Forward--LOOKS GOOD!  The only one, unfortunately.

Port Side Forward Jack Point is crackewd.  I suppose I will replace this, after I test out my technique on the Port Side Aft Jack Point.



 Looks good?  NOT!  I was probing the floor and found a soft spot and that lead me to find this area where the wall is not secure.  At present I'm thinking about putting in a solid fiberglass floor.  It will be heavy, but it will never rot and I like that idea.  Getting it in will be difficult, but Then it should not have to be done again.  My idea is to use fiberglass panel wherever there is a horizontal surface for water protection.  I'd also like to have drains in all four corners.  It might make it nice for cleanup too.  I'll have to think a while before deciding on that.  Plywood is much cheaper.  And this stuff did last 45 years.


Skin is loose here, on the opposite side but not as bad, and in the front.  I will need some new rivets!

No comments:

Post a Comment