Friday, January 4, 2013

Peeling Back Some of the Skin

All four corners of the jack points had damage.  And this is the biggest stumbling block to acutally using the camper, and being able to move it around.  Here are views from the outside with the curved corner skin removed.  I will have to replace a Y shaped extrusion on both sides. 



An inside view.  You can clearly see the C-channel on this side.  Their is a flange extending outwards on the top to make in an h shape like a chair lying on it's front legs with the back of the chair up.  I can't find any of this material anywhere so far.

The design looks weak to me.  Even without rotten wooden backing, it seems like this is a weak point on the camper.

This is a good view of the sort of damage I need to repair.  I was hoping to find a h shaped extrusion to replace the entire piece.  I have a few options here.  One is to remove this piece, cut it in half and use the fresh pieces for the ends, with some reinforcing in the middle.  Another is to hammer it flat with some backer steel and reinforce the outside with some angle aluminum.  I would love to put in a heavier piece of square tubing and and angle bracket on the outside.

This front part looks a bit messed up.  I have removed this and I found it to be ok--just slightly tweaked.  I need to put a new plywood floor in there to make it perfect and bang it straight.  The sheeting is torn in one spot and shows damage from rubbing against a pickup bed.

Below you can see where the aluminum sheeting is torn.  I have this entire piece removed and plan to replace it completely and use this scrap piece for repairs under the wings.

Here is a view with this panel removed.


No comments:

Post a Comment