Saturday, March 10, 2012

Roof

After cleaning the pine needles off the roof, I went around an wiped down all the spots I missed from the bottom, and the whole drivers side which is not yet done except for the very top. 

You can see the silvery tar used to seal the roof.  Only the rivets and seams should have been sealed.  I'll remove all of this gunk and reseal the roof, while installing fans.

I would like to install solar panels on the roof.  I'd prefer to fair them in so they won't catch branches and offer less wind resistance.  My plan is to install them above the back passenger side corner and bring the wire in the back wall.  I want all wire and cables "enter" on the back wall top right corner with cable glands and some sort of rain deflector.  

This shows the front rain deflector for the front fan.  The silvery tar sealant was used everywhere.  Their must have been leaks somewhere if this was installed.  It needs to come off, but not before I am ready to do the other work like the fans.


In this one you can see the rivets showing.  I don't know what all this sealant weighs, but it is weight that can be removed, and sealing can be done where it is needed only.



Looking aft [below]. The brown mark is a stain left by pine needles that were decomposing on the roof.  In front of the ladder this area was patched and patched again.  I think the danger is climbing on the roof causes damage. 

Looking forward:  On the left is the vent for the stove and oven. I would like to either clean and paint this, or better yet, replace it with a stainless steel or aluminum piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment