Friday, March 9, 2012

Thoughts on Campers

I was thinking about how I hated trailers.  I always thought they were low class and trashy.  I would prefer to camp in a tent to living in a dreaded trailer.  Then my brother was given a trailer and I helped him move it. I later used it myself down in Baja Mexico where he kept it.  I remember sleeping in it the first time.  The wind came up and shook the whole trailer.  I felt like a boat moving with the wind, opened my eyes to see a nearly full moon up above.  It was a magical moment.  From that point on I started to like trailers, but I still hated trailers that were dirty, poorly built.  I could tolerate an ugly looking trailer--on the outside, but it had to be nice inside.   I'd like it to look nice on the outside, but on the other hand I realized that while traveling it is wise not to attract too much attention to yourself.

The other interesting think about camping is why camp?  Some people just like to get away into the country...that would be people who lived in the city and never lived in a scenic environment.  I grew up in the country.  If I'm camping, I like it to be spectacular if possible.  Or, if I'm traveling, driving, which I do more often by driving now that I have a dog, I try to drive as far as possible and stop only when I need to sleep.  So this camper combines both purposes, only now I don't have to feel like I'm in a hurry.  If I can be comfortable, I can linger any where I please and take the road less traveled.

What is my vision for my BARTH camper?  I want to use it--simply as a place to sleep, cook, and be warm and dry--that is my short range goal.  Long range, well, I'd like to have a camper that has "hang time" which to me means the ability to get away for weeks at a time without need to resupply.  Like a cruising yacht, I'd like a couple of weeks of provisions, energy independence, and equipped to survive for an extended period in the most efficient possible way.

What is needed?

Shelter, Food, Heat are the big three.  Cooking is next followed by a Shower and Toilet.

Shelter:  Metal structure like my BARTH would need good insulation and a thermal break to prevent condensation.  At some point I may take the whole camper apart and rewire and insulate it with water proof closed cell foam which would help prevent water intrusion.  I have some rotted plywood to replace also. I'm thinking about other materials like fiberglass panels but that may be over-kill if the shell is sealed and resealed with closed cell foam.

Food:  Stored in a refrigerator and freezer.  Most people don't have a freezer. I want a good one.  I would also like to have a DC powered refrigerator that would also run on propane and AC.  So it would run most times on solar generated power stored in a pair of batteries.  I'd consider having a small wind generator also.  So the idea is to run all this on solar power.  I would need a lot of panels on my roof.  The more the better.  Obvious this is expensive and not something I'd want right now, but as time goes on, I'd like this goal to be realized.

Cooking:  A gas power stove/oven will run for many months on one tank of propane.

Heat: I have an RV furnace.  It does not work, but if it did, it would be loud and use a lot of propane.  I'd prefer to install a non vented propane heater and crack a skylight  and a lower vent.  So the non-vented heater works good, and venting allows the moisture created to escape.  Also, this sort of heater does not need power to run a blower.  Loose your power--not at problem.  You still have heat.  In the long run, I'd rather have wood heat, which would work any place where wood smoke would not piss people off nearby. So a person boondocking--well away from other people would be able to have heat without any dependence on propane or fuel oil.  I considered a diesel heater, which could run off my truck's fuel tank, but then I'd lose some motoring range.  Ultimately, I'd like a wood stove near the door that can provide heat, hot water, and not be dependent on energy that was not locally available. 

Cooling is also important.  Good insulation helps.  And a couple of nice fans.  Air Conditioning would be really nice, but would also require staying at a camp ground with hookups.  Some people use small window type air conditioner and the build them into their campers.  I like the idea.  The rooftop AC units work well and don't use up space inside.  They can run on a small generator, but the amount of propane needed to power an AC like that is very high...better to find a campground.  For what I want to do, I don't think I want an air conditioner.  I can afford the energy required in propane, although I would consider it for temporary use in places where I have power.

Keeping Clean:  It is no fun traveling and living like a dirt bag.  I want to be able to take a shower, and have a toilet for time when none is available.  An option is a Porta-Potty, which is how I'll start out, as I will probably rip out the bathroom in my camper and start over.  A warm shower every other day would work for me, and that can be a pot or water heated on the stove and a place to shower.  This is be my lowest priority. 

No comments:

Post a Comment