Saturday, March 10, 2012

Windows and Fastners


Clutch Bit needed to remove anything. One of my frat brothers is sending me two sizes he found in Massachusetts.  Otherwise I'd have to wait a week to get one online.

Front side with storm windows removed.  This was covered with dirt and mold.  Looks good now.  Note the ventilation cover on top.  Both vents are like that.  Rain can't get in unless there is a lot of wind, but there are no covers for these things.  So I need either two new fans or one new fan and an air conditioner.

Furnace.  Along with wiping down the whole camper, I polished the furnace portal also.

I did not polish the propane and battery access port on the bottom left, but I did wipe down the back side and polished the door frame.  I wiped down the edges of the roof, bent ladder, and luggage rail.  Still to do, the drivers side.

Dinette Windows.  For about $100 I can replace all the rusted "clutch" screws with stainless steel security torx. It would be nice to have the whole thing polished.  Now that I've wiped and polished some, I can think about hitting the whole thing with an acid wash.  I'd rather focus on other things first.  I think they look good now and I can move onto the other side and then more important things.

These are double pane windows fastened on with rusted metal clips. I broke all of these off to remove the windows.  I was able to get them fairly clean.  Without separating the two halves, I could not have gotten them clean.  So now I need to find a stainless steel clip to replace these broken rusted clips.  My long term vision is to remove and everything on the outside, including the windows and re-bed them with butyl tape or 4200.  With new stainless steel parts it should last a long time and look good.

I believe I have screens and storm windows for every window.  There is a great view sitting next to the fridge.  This spot on top of the hill has nice views and a pine grove nearby.  I had a few rocks in my path that I beat out with a sledge and crowbar. I laid a piece of slate and a board on my path to prevent mud tracks below this window.

The rusted bolts might clean up with an acid wash.

The backside, the entry door I just noticed is missing a pair of panes--each "pane" of this jalousie window is actually two thin panes.   The very top pair is missing.  Another pair is cracked and chipped.  



It is pretty hard to spot the missing top panes with the windows cranked out.  It was not until I tried washing it that I noticed it was missing.  I am wondering if I should replace all of these with a single lexan pane.

I looked at some old pictures and noticed it when the windows were cranked closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment