Friday, March 9, 2012

Truck Modifications

I needed a tie down method.  I chose the Torklift system.  I had the option of using my existing hitch which I felt was not strong enough for using a hitch extension.  So I also purchased a Super Hitch Magnum which is rated 20,000 lbs and 2000 lbs tongue weight.  It also will carry 12,000 lbs on a 32" to 48" extension.  I will be using a 32" extension for towing.  Note the two receivers on the hitch.  One is 2.5" with a sleeve to reduce it to 2", and the lower one is 2" also.  This give me some flexibility in hitch ball height.  I had one problem with mounting my hitch, I needed to cut one spacer down so that it would lay flat on the frame--last picture.

I had a problem with one of the Torklift tie downs.  My aftermarket fuel tank interferred with the drivers side front mount.  A friend welded it onto a bracket instead. There is a brace that is used which fit normally.  I am confident it will hold up fine.  So I was ready to load it and bring it home.  I used tie down straps because of the suspect mounting location.

The drive home was uneventful, except that I had to avoid certain roads where this setup was clearly illegal.  My pickup is a 2001 Silverado Extended Cab Dually with a Duramax/Allison engine/transmission combo.  It carried the weight, 3200 lbs perfectly, and I had no issues with sway control or anything.  I kept my speed on cruise control at 57mph most of the way home.  I don't feel I need to upgrade my shocks or suspension.  The dual wheels did give me more confidence, and actually the truck rode nicely with that weight in the back.









No comments:

Post a Comment